The Palaczszuk government has announced the commitment of $1 billion to build at least 3,000 new homes in Logan.
On Wednesday (December 7th), it was revealed that the funding will be used to prioritise low-cost social housing in the South East Queensland city, Domain reports.
Some $400 million of costs toward the project will be provided by the state government, with the remaining sum contributed by the private and community sectors.
The scheme is expected to take 20 years to complete and a quantity of older housing stock will be demolished to make way for 1,415 new housing commission homes. At least a further 2,000 will be built by private developers as affordable housing options.
Mick de Brenni, the housing minister, said the government intends to spread this new social housing across the Logan region as part of a wider effort to address the undersupply of houses.
It was noted that the final locations for the new properties have yet to be decided - and Mr de Brenni said the plans are partly motivated by the growing population.
Indeed, Logan's population is expected to reach half a million people by 2036 - and without government action, a housing crisis could be imminent.
Dubbed the Better Neighbourhoods Logan Initiative, it replaces the Logan Renewal Initiative, which was scrapped earlier this year and would have seen 2,600 homes built.
"We'll be making sure no matter what your financial status is you'll have somewhere to live that is safe, secure and affordable," Mr de Brenni commented.
"We've got an ambition that far outweighs the previous project and we're not going to shy away from that,” he continued. "We think we can do much better."
The plans were welcomed by Logan Chamber of Commerce president Bill Richards, who said it is exactly what is needed by businesses and the unemployed alike.