Global Power | Local Knowledge | Uniquely Personal

Migration drives Australian population growth

Australia's population is growing and migration is driving the trend.

The population of Australia is growing and much of this is owed to overseas migration.

According to figures from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), the country's population rose by 1.8 per cent during 2012. This is the strongest growth seen for three years.

Bjorn Jarvis, Director of ABS Demography, says that this increase is largely due to migration to Australia.

He said: "Net overseas migration accounted for 60 per cent of Australia's total growth, with the remaining 40 per cent due to natural increase."

Indeed, Australia is known to be a popular destination for people to move to. This is mostly due to its reputation of having a relaxed lifestyle and a warm climate.

What's more, economically there is more opportunity for work in Australia compared to other parts of the world. This is proven by the low unemployment rate, which was found to be 5.5 per cent in May.

Posted by Steve Douglas

DISCLAIMER: All information provided is of a general nature only and does not take into account your personal financial circumstances or objectives. Before making a decision on the basis of this material, you need to consider, with or without the assistance of a financial adviser, whether the material is appropriate in light of your individual needs and circumstances. This information does not constitute a recommendation to invest in or take out any of the products or services provided by SMATS Services (Australia) Pty Ltd or Australasian Taxation Services Pty Ltd.

COPYRIGHT: All information provided is protected by international copyright laws. You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any such content, nor may you distribute any part of this content over any network. Copying or storing any content is expressly prohibited without prior written permission of SMATS Group or the copyright holder identified in the individual content's copyright notice. For permission to use the content on please contact

Subscribe Now